Re: [TowerTalk] How High is enough

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How High is enough
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:01:03 -0400
Years ago I had the opportunity to work contests at place that had a 3 stack (bottom was 60 feet and the top was 120 feet I think). We would work Europe early in the morning starting with all 3 antennas connected. After a while the QSO rate would start to drop and we would switch to the top two antennas. As the QSO rate would drop it was to the bottom 2, then just the top, then the middle, and finally to just the bottom antenna. The QSO rate would drop because the propagation changed. Early propagation was to Russia and by the time we were to the bottom antenna propagation was mainly to Western Europe. By changing the antenna configuration we were changing the angle of radiation from very low (all 3) to not so low (just the bottom). This was DX contesting.

Running all 3 of the stack would not have been very effective for a US/VE contest as the radiation angle would be too low. The bottom antenna would work. The top antenna would work but probably not as well as just the bottom antenna for a US/VE contest as its radiation angle is probably still too low and would tend to skip over closer in stations.

An antenna at 50 feet will work as will the same antenna at 70 feet. Depending on your goals one height may be more of a compromise than the other of course.

Ed's point about deciding what your goals are is important and essential to make any kind of value/merit assessments about any antenna configuration.

73, Larry  W6NWS

-----Original Message----- From: Edward Sawyer