Re: [TowerTalk] How high is enough

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How high is enough
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 06:25:46 -0500 (CDT)
no one height is best for everything so put up a whole bunch of them at
different heights!

Jul 30, 2013 10:46:53 PM, wb5oxq_1@grandecom.net wrote:

When choosing a height for a beam is 1/4 wave above ground at the lowest
frequency enough? 1/2 wave? I see Force 12 rating the gain on their beams at
74'1".
Why that height? At 20 meters is 100' a lot better than say 60'? I am talking
about relatively flat terrain. I see Stepp-ir makes a beam that even has a 80
meter dipole in it. Would that workmuch better on 80 than a wire dipole at an
equal height? I have never had enough land to put upmore than 50' bit nest year
I might have over an acre and be able to go much higher. I just wonder how high
when you spend more to go higher than it is worth? If I had the room for a wire
dipole to run any direction, what would be the best choice from central Texas
considering being in the center of the country east/west wise? I want to get
the best bang for my buck! wb5oxq