Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G

To: towertalk@contesting.com, turvin2009@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:58:03 -0400 (EDT)
>  I am a newbie. I am putting up a 60' Rohn 25G with 2 sets  of guys.

>  My question concerns the baseplate. The baseplate only  uses a pier pin
to hold it in place. It seems to me that this would allow the  base plate to
move.

    Where would it move to?

    Pier pins are typically used with bigger, heavier  towers because it
more or less equalizes the leg stresses. In your case I'd  suggest just
burying some of the bottom section in concrete. It's much easier to  erect with
the bottom section locked in. With a pier pin, you'll have to use  temporary
guying to get it erected.

    If your base is already poured, I'd recommend  bolting the baseplate to
the base. (Use a rotary hammer and epoxy to set the  bolts.)

     For a newbie, I don't recommend messing with  temporary guys. You need
solid rigging skills and the right equipment to do that  safely. And people
still get hurt by using them. Set it in concrete.

>  The 1st set of guys wires go at 28'
What is the safest method  for installing the 10' sections prior to having
the 1st set of guys in place? I  am not using a crane. I am using a gin
pole. I want to make sure that it does  not fall over while I am the process of
getting to the height of where the 1st  guys go.

    See comments above. If you're going to proceed with  temporary guys,
use some of your precut guys for temps since ropes are stretchy.  A comealong,
guy grip, nylon slings and some carabiners or shackles will be very
useful. ALL of this is covered in my UP THE TOWER book which I strongly suggest

you read. (Available from _www.championradio.com_
(http://www.championradio.com) )

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC