Re: [TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 11:28:05 -0400
On 10/7/2013 6:56 AM, kr2q@optimum.net wrote:
Hi...

I am changing out the T-Bar base on my TX472.

[You may recall, my old TX472 was bent at the base of the tower during H.Sandy.
 The replacement tower has arrived]

I tried using my wrench to undo the 3 nuts (on 3 anchor bolts), but I wasn't
able to budge them.

Then I slid a six foot long, 2" OD mast over the end of the wrench and for two
of them (barely rusted), they easily turned.

But one of the anchor bolts (1.125" diameter) the associated nut is heavily
rusted, as is the bolt.  Over the weekend, I applied Naval Rust Dissolver Gel which
sort of worked.  At least enough to demonstrate that the threads are still in tact.
I also showered it with Liquid Wrench (several times).

Use an Acetylene torch to quickly heat the nut to a red heat and remove the flame quickly. Also remove the nut quickly. Keep the flame away from the bolt. A Map gas hand held torch might do it, but it might take a while. The danger is heating the bolt which would reduce its strength.

Another option is a "nut splitter", or a plasma torch. Don't cut into the threads with the torch. It's so quick the bolt will barely get warm A cut almost to the threads on each side should do it, although the "nut splitter" is probably the safest. OTOH that's a pretty big splitter. Don't know how expensive it'd be, but up to inch and a half are fairly inexpensive. A precision too, they're not<:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)

But even with the 6 foot long lever arm and "cautious" pressure, I was not able
to budge the nut.

I know that when nuts have "frozen" before on much smaller bolts (5/16" or 3/8"), I have been able
to (unfortunately) break the bolt instead of loosing the nut while applying "lots" of rotational torque on
the nut.  While a 1.125" diameter bolt seems pretty hefty, I am concerned about doing the same (yeah, sounds
ridiculous)..and then I"ll really be out of luck.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,
de Doug KR2Q