Re: [TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] heavily rusted anchor bolt/nut
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 15:08:31 -0400
On 10/7/2013 2:42 PM, Nick Pair wrote:
Hey Doug you might try this method that I have used on anchor bolts 1 inch to
2.5 in diameter. It works on nuts that are rusted and nuts that are overly
galvanized on galvanized bolts without damaging the hot dip galvanizing.
Just round up 2 heavy sledge hammers (6 pounds or more)

12 pounders work well although you don't often see them any more. I have a newish 10# and a very old 12 pounder from the farm. I had forgotten this approach which is surprisingly effective as I haven't worked with large bolts in a very long time. This does two things. It breaks the rust and enlarges/stretches the nut, so you now have a larger (loose fitting) nut and less rust. The backing hammer serves two purposes. The impact is reflected back giving a lesser impact on the backing side and by equalizing the impact helps to prevent damage to the bolt. (depending on the accuracy of your swing)<:-)) If you have different size hammers, use the larger for the backing

I wouldn't advise this approach on small bolts, unless the person really knows what they are doing. You can easily trash a 1/2" bolt.

73

Roger (K8RI)

and hold one of them on the flat on one side of the nut and smack the opposing
flat half a dozen times. Move to the next opposing flats and repeat. Try your
wrench after the 6 flats have been struck. After a few go arounds the rust or
what ever will be displaced and the nut will move. If the nut stops moving
repeat process till free. This method will not work without backing hammer
opposing striking hammer.
Hope this helps, Nick WB7PEK
P.S. This also works well on the tapered studs on ball joints on your Chevys!