Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

To: n4zkf <towertalk@n4zkf.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:02:46 -0400
WOW  another  Hustler G series antenna  Strike ☹   I had not one but two
Hustler G6  LIGHTNING strikes

Both times blowing off the top piece and  one cracking the fiberglass tube and
one blowing the top off with it's metal adaptor

When I built this station...4 towers   each with 4 ground rods  with 1 cable in
series and parallel and to the tower legs.    Feed lines come off the tower to
ground the 90 deg   enter a Steel WX proof control box.  which is also tied
into the ground  rods.    Inside the box the 7/8 hardline connectors are
grounded  in a bus bar. the closed tower is 80' and longest 300' away .  All
cables and Hardline are buried in a 3' trench  from the towers to the house.
Where I have a 3 ft  X 3ft X 1ft WX entrance  box.   The 12 runs of 7/8
hardline  have the BIG brass fittings again clamped in a buss bar.   the box
has 4 ground rods one each side and two 8' out. with #1 copper

Inside there is a 4' X 4'  1/8 aluminum wall panel the 6' RG214 jumpers  from
the outside hardline are again
run across a 3' buss bar of long double barrels . This panel is grounded to the
outside box ground point with 1
1" wide silver-plated braded copper.  From the wall panel all coax enters the
Radio room 14X20.  The rooms ceiling and wall b-4 covering with drywall
,paneling and ceiling tile, were lined with  4' X 8' X  .032 aluminum sheets .
 Because  they wee surplus from work and  I had experience from the last QTH
of Strong RF fields doing weird stuff.
The wall shield is also tied into the ground system.   ( READ) there is NO CELL
PHONE signal or WIFI  in the shack.  😎
   The operating table/desks are solid oak commercial doors  40" X 82"   and
shelf 24 X 82"    The top shelf and the bottom back desk have a sheet od  .032
aluminum cut in half and glued down . all radios  a boxes are grounded to the
ground screen
with the shortest piece possible.   these two ground plates are bound together
at one corner with 1"  silver plated   braded copper.
and then the rolling table  has another  1"  strap through the  little cable
access window 1' X 1 ' ..... to the distribution panel on the wall .

   Is this the best ???  I used the material I had access to at that time 1990
!

Wayne W3EA

PS I did have a 3/4 copper pipe with 1 1/2  # 10 machine screws silver soldered
every 12"  and wing nut's.
but that was replaced with the sheet ground configuration