Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss
From: "Clay Jackson" <n7qnm-lists@nwlink.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 08:02:00 -0700
Very interesting discussion!    Thought I'd share a little bit about my
shack - we're in Eastern Washington, in the middle of what used to be a 90
acre wheat field.   I have  a HyGain AV18HT (50' vertical) about 200' from
the house, and then a couple of VHF antennas on 30' masts bracketed to the
side of the house.

When we had the house built, before the foundation was poured, I cadwelded a
#2 copper wire to one of the rebars in the middle of the foundation and left
it out.    After the house was completed, I cadwelded that wire to an 8'
copper rod, then ran #2 wire around the 3 corners of the house, with an 8'
rod at each corner, all cadwelded - I also cadwelded that to the house AC
"Safety" ground, which is just another piece of rebar tied to the foundation
that comes up through the garage floor near the electrical panel.

I have a DX Engineering Entry Panel, and my #2 copper wire terminates in
that panel, with the wire clamped to the aluminum plate inside the panel.
All of my antennas except the vertical enter through that panel, through
lightning arrestors bolted to the panel.  The VHF antenna masts are mounted
in a pipe sleeve buried at least 4' into the ground, and there's an 8'
ground rod at each mast, cadwelded to the round-the-house ground wire.

The HyGain Antenna is mounted on a 6x6x6 block of concrete - the "legs" were
clamped to the rebar in the concrete, and I left one of the pieces of rebar
above the concrete, to which I clamped the antenna ground and lightning
arrestor at the base.  The AV18HT feeds the tower at the base (the legs sit
on insulators); and so I have a box with 8 neon bulbs in it connected
between the tower and ground as a static discharge.

In the shack, I have a 6' strap of 2" wide copper braid,  bolted to a 6'
long  2" copper pipe that sit on the back of my operating table.  All of my
gear is connected to that pipe with 1/2" or bigger copper braid.   The
operating table frame  is constructed of 1x1 steel tubing, and that's also
connected to the ground pipe.    All of my power comes through a generator
backed set of 3 UPS,  1 1500VA and 2 450VA.

So far, I haven't had any DIRECT strikes; but, last year, we did get a
strike about 100' from the base of the tower that was pretty intense - no
damage to any of the rigs or other devices.

Clay
N7QNM