Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar

To: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Welding Rebar
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:51:17 -0700
Agreeing with Roger, having just completed building for a friend a new cage for a Tri-Ex LM354, I welded the main #8 rods to the tower mounting flanges (3x3/8x20" HRS). This is the way it comes from the factory and there is no alternative, so debating weld/not weld is not relevant.

The factory cage also ships from the factory with #3 & #4 rods tacked to the #8 to provide a strong enough cage to be shipped. This also insures the base flanges mate with the tower flanges with no additional and difficult fixturing and supports when pouring the base concrete.

Of course, weldable rebar should be specified, but the entire cost of all the base rebar was under $100 cut to length by the supplier. We bent the #3 loops around the #4 extensions to the #8, and then I tacked these all together. Wire ties are very handy to fixture the assembly for welding.

This all was a superior way to build a cage when compared to the troubles the wire tied cages gave when installing my two HDX589s. Expect some climbing on the cage when it goes down 9' into a hole only slightly larger. (or 6' for the LM354).

My .02,

Grant KZ1W