Re: [TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 15:11:33 -0700

You say you're not worried about capacitive coupling, but if there is any effect at all that is exactly what happens ... capacitive coupling to the channel. Possibly you're worried about the channel shielding the RF, but that isn't what happens either. Whatever coupling there is to the channel simply makes it become part of the radiator. You are confusing the boom with "ground" ... it isn't. That driven element could just as easily work fine if it was bonded (I won't use the term "grounded here") to the boom, and if RF gets coupled to the channel it would simply re-radiate just as if the element was connected to it. Please explain the difference to me if you disagree.

Secondly, your analogy to a whip antenna on a car is completely flawed. With a whip on a car you are feeding the whip against the car body ... with the Moxon you aren't feeding the driven element against the boom. If properly balanced, there is zero potential between that channel and the boom.

73,
Dave   AB7E