Re: [TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a W6NL Moxon 40 Meter Beam.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2014 16:36:12 -0700

There isn't really a "shielding" effect, at least not in theory. If the driven element was entirely surrounded by an equal length tube the RF would merely be coupled to the tube and it would become the radiator. The RF does not get "grounded" any more than if the center of the driven element was itself bonded to the boom. So yes ... the channel just becomes an equivalent part of the center of the driven element (assuming electrical balance, of course). There might be some tuning/detuning effects of the combination of the channel and the element inside it, but I would think they would be minor and you'll never even know they are there anyway because all you'll ever see is the net effect of everything that's up there. The only way any of those effects would be deleterious is if the capacitive coupling of the driven element to the channel has significant loss ... and I don't think that would be the case since the RF voltage at that point (and therefore the capacitive current though the dielectric) is very low.

You're going to love the antenna if you can keep from losing sleep about it in the meantime. ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E