Re: [TowerTalk] Is A Tower Weaker in Some Directions?

To: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com, "Cox, Norman R." <nrc@mst.edu>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is A Tower Weaker in Some Directions?
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 13:06:08 -0500
Norm, Bill is right but hasn't dropped the other shoe yet. Will some mechanical engineer type please tell us which direction of lean is strongest in a triangular tower with X-braces or the typical zigzag bracing. Do you want a flat side toward the wind or the side opposite.. For reference lets assume one leg of the tower is toward the north. Then one leg is at 120 degrees and the other is 240 degrees. Which wind direction(s) would be the most dangerous for the tower?

One would guess there are three directions of wind that hit the tower at its least strength and three where it is the strongest. The question is in the above example of a tower what would be the most dangerous wind ,one from the north, 120, or 240 degrees or would worst case(s) be 60, 180, or 300 degrees?

If there is a substantial difference in max wind vs relative bearing of the wind then those with rotating triangular towers might want to be guided by this as regards where to leave the tower when not in use. ...and the rest of us might wasn???t to consider this with respect to our triangular towers.

Oh woe is me... I have already committed 3 out of 4 towers to their final positions with no regard to wind direction. I have 49 ft of Rohn 25 plus mast to erect and have not poured the foundation for the tilt base yet (whew just in time.)

Patrick
-----Original Message----- From: Bill Aycock