Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: "K7LXC@aol.com" <K7LXC@aol.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "mryan001@tampabay.rr.com" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: David Blake via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 21:11:24 +0000 (UTC)
I've had outstanding results with Mosley antennas, especially the PRO67B.  With
my PRO which was up from 1994 until I moved in 2010 I never had a problem or
complaint.  DX results were excellent.  I worked over 320 countries all 6 bands
the antenna is designed to cover.  When it was taken apart, all the stainless
hardware, nuts and bolts were in good condition.  I used the Pentrox or
whatever it's called that was supplied by Mosley on all joining sections and
they came apart easily.  It withstood shear winds, ice and snow in central
Ohio.  I sold it to a very famous DXer who had been using a Mosley PRO57 for 20
years and wanted to upgrade.  I ran an Amertron AL-1200 which easily ran full
legal power and achieved Honor Roll status on both Phone and CW.   I have
issues with Mosley, but they are not related in performance or ability to stand
up year after year.  You must purchase them from Mosley, delivery can take
months at times.  Not sure if this is still the case or not.  Think they every
charged my credit card before shipping.
I also had a 1961 TA33 which was upgraded to a TA33 with the 40KR kit and taken
down when I moved in 1987.  Again I never had any problems.  No servos, thin
plastic insulators, pop rivets or hose clamps.

73Dave -N4DB-

     On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 1:13 PM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk
<towertalk@contesting.com> wrote:

 >  Over the years I have heard stories of unexplained  failures with Mosley
antennas which were equally unexplained as having to do  with the selection
of certain coax cables. One recent incident was with a local  here that had
trouble getting a PRO 67 to ?cooperate? only with the use of RG  213 cable.

    A Mosley PRO series? My condolences.

    My experience has been that the PRO Mosleys are  very sensitive to
anything near them. This includes 2M verticals, etc. And you  have to have the
exact feed arrangement that they show. Both will cause  problems.

    Test the antenna with an analyzer at the feedpoint  and work your way
back to the shack from there.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH