[TowerTalk] Antennas in trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antennas in trees
From: Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 13:41:53 -0400
Hi all,

>>jim ab3cv wrote:
>>I regularly launch a loaded tennis ball with no problems
>>getting it down. I slit the ball and push in 22 pennies to
>>provide additional mass. Seal it back up with hot melt glue.

I use a highly modified version of Alan Biocca's PADS (Pneumatic Antenna Deployment System):
http://www.akbeng.com/

I second Jim's statement, in several years and close to a hundred shots I have never had the weighted tennis ball hang up in a tree. Alan Biocca's tennis balls are weighted with 2oz of sand and resealed. The combination of the weight and slick line with the Zip Reel dispenser ensures it always gets to the ground.

Some people purchase compressed CO2, but I bought a battery operated compressor from Porter Cable which gives enough air for ten shots or so, and of course bring spare batteries. The compressor is useful in other ways the CO2 would not be and uses the same battery as my cordless drill.

Plus the launcher is fun to use...I take the reel off of it and do target practice with plain tennis balls to discourage deer from our garden! Man they can jump high!

Cheers & 73,

Howie - WA4PSC