Re: [TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower :

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How far away from the shack for that mighty fine tower :-]
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 05:23:55 -0500
Depends on how many, how high, how big the tower(s), the antenna, or antennas and the size of your lot, or estate, as well as location. If it's a new, subdivision with only young trees any tower will stand out like a sore thumb. Towers are a thing of beauty only to other hams and not all hame share those artistic values. Landscaping plays a part too.
We had a lot of big trees in front of the house and in front of the N yard.
We have a single story house with a good size, attached garage on the N End. My shop is about 40 feet N of the garage. It's a 200 X 200 ft lot.

The 100' 45G is about 10' to the NW of the NW corner of the garage.
The trees pretty well screened the 100' tower and antennas from the neighborhood except for two houses off the S side of the back yard. The house directly to the S is pretty well screened. Look up my address on QRZ.com and look it up on Google Earth.' It was an out standing feature a half mile E, West bound on Olson Rd. We are on a N/S street, 2nd house off Olson Rd on the W side of Clyde Rd..

I also have a LM470 on the N side of the shop near the W end. It would have been completely screened from the neighborhood, whether up or down...UNFORTUNATELY all of the 5 big Ash trees in the front of the N yard were killed in short order by the Emerald Ash Borer. That tower is now completely exposed to the E side of the street (up or down). We have 3 new Maple trees that are now 10 to 15 feet tall in the area where the Ash were located. We'll likely be long gone before those trees offer any screening.

At-any-rate, as I said, it depends on many things as to how visible the tower(s) will be.

73

Roger  (K8RI)