Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors Part 2

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors Part 2
From: Larry <LKIRKLAND@sc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 20:54:21 -0400
A few years ago, Paul, K4AVU, was building and selling crimping tools for UHF connectors. There was a product review in QST about the tool.
Larry W4LK

On 05/10/2016 08:05 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Tue,5/10/2016 4:48 PM, Kevin Stover wrote:
I tried to pull one off a waste piece of coax. Connector clamped in my bench vise and two guys pulling on the coax. Didn't budge. Try that with the soldered connector.

A properly installed soldered Amphenol 83-1SP makes a pretty strong connection to the coax. "Properly installed" includes stripping just enough braid so that it shows through the solder holes and so that the coax jacket screws into the connector shell, soldering the braid at each hole so that it flows well, and doing a good soldering job on the center conductor. Many times, I've had to yank pretty hard on the RG11 attached to high dipoles to guide them away from tree limbs, etc. So far, I've never had one pull apart.

K3LR has developed a method of soldering the braid to the OUTSIDE of the connector shell and covering it with heat shrink. That's probably even stronger! I've done that with a few connectors, but wasn't thrilled with the result. QST published it a few years ago, and I think it's somewhere on the internet.

73, Jim K9YC