Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 14:21:24 -0400
>'I'm perplexed, but not really surprised, that hams still insist on using
this kind of backwoods engineering when a better way has been available for
decades. I guess old habits die hard."

If you mean crimped connectors as a "better way," I agree when they're used
either indoors or when they're adequately weather shielded.    Mechanically,
I've had more crimped connectors break and fail than soldered type when
high, accidental lateral force is exerted.  For indoor use, I exclusively
use crimped type.  For outdoors, almost exclusively soldered type.

Paul, W9AC