Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 11:31:22 -0700

> If you mean crimped connectors as a "better way," I agree when they're used
> either indoors or when they're adequately weather shielded.
> Mechanically,
> I've had more crimped connectors break and fail than soldered type when
> high, accidental lateral force is exerted.  For indoor use, I exclusively
> use crimped type.  For outdoors, almost exclusively soldered type.

I use them outside as well as inside and have never had a problem. Before I
started using them, I did a pull test to see how much force it would take
to pull the coax out of the connector. I clamped the connector in a vise
and pulled on the cable. I gave up after reaching 100 pounds of force
without pulling the cable out of the connector. That convinced me that a
crimped connector could take any reasonable force. If you've got
connections subject to more than 100 pounds of force, I'd say you need to
rethink how you're rigging things.

73,
Jerry