Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 16:32:10 -0700
Kevin,

Good points !   Your system looks great.

I was doing very similar for years.
I have added a final step for sealing the connection I would like to share.
Here in Napa Valley there are many wineries and many water wells. I was working on a project for a winery which hired a well drilling and installation company to put in a new water well for irrigating one of their vineyards. I was very interested in how they sealed the electrical connections that were down in the well under water. They were making up a cable splice that day and I learned their process. Their first step with Scotch 88 is not much different than what many of us do on our RF connection weather proofing. First they stretch wrap with Scotch 88 electrical tape, then they stretch wrap with Scotch 130 rubber self bonding splicing tape, then one final stretch wrap with Scotch 88, then finally they brush on two coats of ScotchKote 14853 electrical coating. After drying it is ready to go under water. Granted this may be an overkill for our weather proofing needs, but I am anal about weather proofing outside RF connections and have been using this process myself, with 100% success. The ScotchKote is amazing stuff.

The downsides:
* It is hard to split and cut open the weather proof coating later on. It can be done but not as easily as one coated with liquid electrical tape. * ScotchKote is not cheap. I only use it for this purpose so one can lasts me quite a while, but it is about $30.00
for one 15 oz can.

Bob
K6UJ