Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al Tubing to Al Tubing

To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Loosening Al Tubing to Al Tubing
From: <marsh@ka5m.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:28:20 -0500
A few years back I was rebuilding an antenna that had been up since about
1989. Two pieces of telescoping aluminum tubing were corroded together and
would not come apart. There was no way I was going to reuse them without
getting them apart, cleaning them, and applying some Penetrox or Noalox
before putting them back together.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I decided to try something a bit
far-fetched. My thinking was if I destroyed the aluminum tubing trying to
separate the 2 pieces, I would be no worse off. So, I tied one end to a
large pine tree, and the other end to the rear frame of my car. I used lots
or turns of rope so as I pulled on the stuck joint the ropes would grip the
tubes tighter. I drove the car very slowly away from the pine tree, and much
to my pleasant surprise, the 2 tubes came apart undamaged. Now, this method
is not something I recommend anyone else, but it actually did work, at least
that time, for me.

Marsh, KA5M