Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage at ends of yogi parasitic elements?

To: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Voltage at ends of yogi parasitic elements?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:47:49 -0700
On 10/17/2016 9:44 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
That is a good question.  Years ago I thought of building an 80m vertical
with a relay on top to make it a 160m inverted L at my P40A home but I did
not know if even a vacuum relay would hold up and I knew that there would
be RF issues with the control wires running down the vertical. I had never
seen it done and did not want something likely to fail. If you are just
changing band segments most manufactures are using switchable loading
coils at the feed point.

GL
John KK9A

For many years, I have had an insulator with a relay across it at
the 60 foot point of my 90 foot vertical.  At first I tried vacuum
relays, with ratings up to 8000V.  All worked for 6 months or so
and then failed.  Then I figured out a simple way to modify a
big contactor to increase the contact spacing to 1/2 inch or so
as described here:

QST, May 2009, page 66

This relay has given many years of trouble free service.
It is likely that it has many 1000's of volts across it on
80 meters at 1500W.  It just works.

I also use MJN series relays at the center of my 80 meter
inverted vee to switch in various mica capacitors to tune it
across the band.  Again, it works perfectly.  In that case
I didn't need to modify the MJN relays because the voltage
was within their 1000V rating.

Rick N6RK