Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with crank up towers....

To: Clay Autery <cautery@montac.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Experience with crank up towers....
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 07:45:55 -0700
I have used both the hoop and loop arms from KF7P. Hoop = tied at each section and all coax off the ground when tower is collapsed. Loop = cable free runs and ends up on the ground.

On one HDX589 the hoops worked ok. On the second HDX589 I could not make them work. The cable bundle is 2 or 3 Buryflex or 9913F7, RG6, Cat5, rotator, and Steppir or Tornado control cable. In both cases there was a lot of fiddling to get the cable lengths correct between the loops (5 section towers). A slight hoop downside is more cable is needed since a slack loop is needed at each hoop with the tower fully extended.

Even with the working hoops I would never raise or lower a tower without continuous monitoring. Working = not yet seen to snag. On the other tower they snagged almost every time, which is a PITA to resolve depending on how they snag. My cables are #33 taped together every 24" or so. How they lay in the bundle seems to have some effect on the hoop results. All individual cables were run without twist.

When I ordered the first sets, Chris had not yet produced hoop or loop arms for a 589 so I did the measurements and he fabricated them. He later exchanged the hoops for loops for both towers and they have worked fine since then, 4 years ago. Note that hoops want the arms to be straight so the suspended cables are offset the nesting width of the tower sections. For loops, the support arms are bent or offset so loops are directly in line vertically and the cable runs free thru them.

The 589 base concrete is large enough that I can flake the cable bundle on top of it. I use the "no twist" figure 8 flake http://www.animatedknots.com/fig8flake/ that is used for large hawsers, hoses, fiber optic cables, etc. I'm always watching any tower as it comes up/down so need to be at the base anyway. The "8 flake" uncoils freely on the way up without minimal supervision. My practice is to keep the ground clear of brush and debris around the base. Even if the cables end up on the ground I say, "so what, the first rain washes them off".

Chris is terrific to work with and makes very nice stuff.

Grant KZ1W