Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on Old TV Antenna Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Advice on Old TV Antenna Tower
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 15:23:38 -0700
On 6/30/2017 12:40 PM, Cox, Norman R. wrote:
Question:  Have you ever known of these things buckling and bending over with a
climber?

Yes! I haven't climbed in more than 40 years, but the guys I hire to climb my towers won't set foot on them if they aren't solid.

  Or am I overreacting?

It depends on how much your life is worth, and how much you want to avoid a broken back. People DO die or get seriously hurt when towers fall, and towers DO fall if they're not structurally sound. NOTHING in ham radio (and few things in life) are worth that.

73, Jim K9YC