Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for my tower??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Insurance for my tower??
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 13:16:45 -0700
On 4/3/18 2:49 PM, k7lxc--- via TowerTalk wrote:
  You can increase your home owner's accessory structure insured amounts.

$50k for a 20 year old 72' crankup seems excessive.
    Perhaps but not when you include ALL of the labor to remove the damaged one and install the new one.

No kidding - chopping the old tower into disposable pieces, hauling them away, cutting the bolts off flush with the concrete, inspection of the concrete, drilling new holes for new bolts, etc.

There's a fair number of labor hours there, and that's not even contemplating things like crane/bucket truck rental or climbing time if it's not just conveniently laid out flat.

Depending on where you are, just disposing of the scrap might be an expensive operation. It's not too expensive in Ventura county (about $30-60/ton, and I'll bet that dead tower is less than a ton), but I have heard stories about folks showing up with "mystery metal" (meaning not immediately recognizable to the weigh station operator as something like rebar or steel beams) and going through all sorts of gyrations.