Re: [TowerTalk] Adding Expanding Foam inside boom

To: Charles Morrison <junkcmp@gmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adding Expanding Foam inside boom
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:48:32 -0700
I don't think there is any magic.

The mechanical properties of household construction foam can't add much strength or dampening at frequencies that might matter.

Then it has to stick permanently onto the id and have sufficient strength to not shear from bending.

And not absorb moisture, ever or degrade from heat/cold cycling. And weigh very little.

Sounds to me like a project for Boeing Research.

Internal sleeving is the way to strengthen elements/booms as Leeson points out in his book. No more wind resistance and the mechanical properties are the same as the thicker wall solid tube. He also advocates triple boom guys (one above, two down to a spreader) to prevent uplift failures which for ridge/hill top locations such as his QTH are a real problem.

Coupled structural resonances are numerous in tower + yagi structures, but that is not addressed by any ham radio treatise I've read. Modeling same would be prohibitively complex. Aluminum has no fatigue infinite life threshold as does steel, so it is possible for elements to eventually break from fatigue at low stress levels and many cycles. The limit of cycles vs stress is in charts for many aluminum alloys/heat treats. That happened to a vertical I had that vibrated strongly. Telrex put polypro rope inside TH7DX element ends to absorb vibration energy, presumably elements were subject to fatigue. A simple, durable, & cheap fix if you have a such a problem .

Grant KZ1W