Re: [TowerTalk] Adding Expanding Foam inside boom

To: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adding Expanding Foam inside boom
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:52:08 -0700
On 4/26/18 1:31 PM, Kimberly Elmore wrote:
In a similar vein, I'm helpingto rect an antenna in a relatively inaccessible location and want to minimize element vibration. I have no intention of tryingto fill each element with foam, but I've read that securing a rope inside the element will prevent resonant vibration from occurring. If this is true, will something like "parachute cord" do the trick? It won't be exposed to eather, so UV deteriorartion isn't an issue.

An even better way is to wrap the rope in a spiral on the outside. That kills the wind induced vibration very effectively. (you see this on car antennas).

doesn't even have to be the full length.

http://preformed.com/energy/distribution/motion-control/spiral-vibration-damper