Re: [TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 16:38:05 -0500

> An amateur could get away with wo or three points ... If I were that
> concerned, I'd pick four points: 1 mile/1 km N, E, S & W of the
> antenna.

In addition, one could start with a reference - say 4 radials take a
set of measurements, add four more and take a set of measurements,
add eight more and take a set of measurements, etc. until one sees
the point of diminishing returns (increased field strength) from
adding the radials.

Not only would that answer "how many are enough?" in one's specific
location, it would provide a baseline for "how much deterioration"
over time.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-12-02 11:01 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

 > how can you measure that a radial system is still good over the years?

Do like the (LF/MF) broadcasters (or at least what they used to do) ...
measure field strength at several few points when the antenna/radial
system is new, then measure at the same points every year or two.