Re: [TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2022 13:41:42 -0800

> An amateur could get away with wo or three points ... If I were that
> concerned, I'd pick four points: 1 mile/1 km N, E, S & W of the
> antenna.

In addition, one could start with a reference - say 4 radials take a
set of measurements, add four more and take a set of measurements,
add eight more and take a set of measurements, etc. until one sees
the point of diminishing returns (increased field strength) from
adding the radials.

Not only would that answer "how many are enough?" in one's specific
location, it would provide a baseline for "how much deterioration"
over time.

One might look for a "reverse beacon" or online SDR station.  You do have an issue with changing gain at the station, but most of those folks are pretty good about publishing the configuration and whether it changes.  You could also do a A/B comparison against another antenna you have at your site that is less subject to soil properties.