[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:23:08 -0500
--=====================_168622005==_.ALT

At 16:09 10/15/2001, LogWindows@aol.com wrote:

>To do CW flawlessly in the Win32 environment would require a vxd, kernel mode
>or WDM level device driver (depending on the O/S, since all flavors of
>Windows dont use the same device driver model). This code  would run at Ring
>0 of the processor, where it would be able to preempts the O/S at the
>processor level and provide real time CW.
>
>Good device driver coders want about $60,000 to $80,000 a year.
>
>VB, Delphi, etc cannot be used to write Ring 0 device drivers, way to slow
>with too much overhead. Just plain good old asm should be used for the device
>driver, as at that level, cpu cycles count and you need to have the code as
>small and optimized as possible.
>
>I wouldn't even do the driver in C++.. Just asm.

I don't see why it could not be done in C++. This CW is a VERY slow thing
compared to the speed of tady's machines. The fastest CW operation you
would ever need is about a Millisecond. You can get HELL OF A LOT done in
that much time.
'

>Rick - W4PC
>

>In a message dated 10/15/2001 2:38:54 PM Central Daylight Time,
>clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk writes:
>
> > Ultimately the way to go
> >  for solid CW in all situations of course is the hardware route, and e.g.
>the
> >
> >  W5XD keyer/SO2R box does an admirable job for WL. Routines for driving
>this
> >  are provided in C++ and may be freely incorporated into other progs. with
> >  appropriate acknowledgements in "About" files etc. I suspect that these
> >  routines could be compiled and built as a .dll in C++ for incorporation
>into
> >
> >  progs written in other languages.
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
>Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
>Feature Wishlist:         http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_168622005==_.ALT

At 16:09 10/15/2001, LogWindows@aol.com wrote:<br><br>
environment would require a vxd, kernel mode <br>
or WDM level device driver (depending on the O/S, since all flavors of
Windows dont use the same device driver model). This code&nbsp; would run
at Ring <br>
0 of the processor, where it would be able to preempts the O/S at the
processor level and provide real time CW.<br><br>
Good device driver coders want about $60,000 to $80,000 a year.<br><br>
VB, Delphi, etc cannot be used to write Ring 0 device drivers, way to
slow <br>
with too much overhead. Just plain good old asm should be used for the
device <br>
driver, as at that level, cpu cycles count and you need to have the code
as <br>
small and optimized as possible.<br><br>
I don't see why it could not be done in C++. This CW is a VERY slow thing
compared to the speed of tady's machines. The fastest CW operation you
would ever need is about a Millisecond. You can get HELL OF A LOT done in
that much time.<br>
'<br><br>
In a message dated 10/15/2001 2:38:54 PM Central Daylight Time, <br>
clive@gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk writes:<br><br>
&gt; Ultimately the way to go <br>
&gt;&nbsp; for solid CW in all situations of course is the hardware
route, and e.g. <br>
the <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp; W5XD keyer/SO2R box does an admirable job for WL. Routines for
driving <br>
this <br>
&gt;&nbsp; are provided in C++ and may be freely incorporated into other
progs. with <br>
&gt;&nbsp; appropriate acknowledgements in &quot;About&quot; files etc. I
suspect that these <br>
&gt;&nbsp; routines could be compiled and built as a .dll in C++ for
incorporation <br>
into <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt;&nbsp; progs written in other languages.<br><br>
--<br>
FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog</a><br>
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
trlog@contesting.com<br>
Administrative requests:&nbsp; trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-trlog@contesting.com<br>
Feature
Wishlist:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html</a></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>