[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: LogWindows@aol.com (LogWindows@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:54:04 EDT
Ken,

This is NOT what I said.

First, Windows is a stable O/S, much more stable than dos. In my previous
life, I wrote Operating System code for The Software Link, on the
Multiuser/Multitasking version of DOS called PC-MOS. From that experience,
and my time with Microsoft and my friends at Microsoft, I do know that both
the 9X and NT based versions of Windows are much better code than DOS ever
was.

Second, the goal would have been to create a functionality equivalent of
TRLog for the Windows O/S. While some features would be changed (i.e
networking, etc), it would just take time to have a full featured version.

The reason we didn't proceed with the project is that after I compiled the
results of the survey, most users wanted a DOS version of TRLog that worked
well under Windows. Many of the users didn't want to pay one dime for the
Windows upgrade, even though I was going to invest over $100,000 to do it.

Also, Tree would have gotten a royalty and W4SCO (owner of Log Windows) would
have gotten a royalty from each sale (as they should), so I didn't see any
way to repay the investment or even look at making a profit, if the current
userbase wanted the Windows version for free or didn't want it all.

And if any if you think that there is a profit in writing ham software, you
may want to rethink you assumptions.  :) The ham market is such a tiny
market, even as compared to hobby markets like Stage Magic and woodworking.

Rick - W4PC