[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 05:56:59 -0500
--=====================_37578424==_.ALT

At 01:50 10/16/2001, Pete Smith wrote:

>At 09:42 PM 10/15/01 -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
> >
> >I am really tired of substituting mouse wiggles for perfectly good
> >keystrokes.
> >
> >Is there possibly another approach that could actually make some money?
> >There are a lot of us that have various dos programs we have had for
> >years and can CTL-whatever in our sleep. NOT just TRLog.
> >
> >TR is but one of SEVERAL DOZEN hangers-on I keep around.
> >
> >I would pay TWO hundred dollars for a dos box that REALLY WORKED. Not
> >for a windows version of those two dozen programs, but a SINGLE DOS BOX
> >that has some development to keep it current.  A windows program that
> >was a shell to run old dos programs, really, reliably, with some slicks.
> >
> >Mickey Sloth hasn't put in a minute on dos box code in almost a decade.
> >It is the demise of the dos box (to FORCE us to buy windows programs to
> >replace the old ones) that is the problem here.
> >
> >If you can get a windows program to send smooth cw running on a 1.8 GHz
> >PC (you SHOULD be able to), why not a windows program "dos box" pulling
> >the same strings.
> >
> >I would pay good money for something like "DA BOX" to keep my oldies
> >running. And DA BOX would appeal to other people besides hams.
>
>This all sounds a little surreal to me -- can I be the only person who
>routinely runs TR Log in a DOS box under Wondows in CW contests and is
>quite satisfied with the CW?  Nothing exotic here -- a 200 MHz Pentium MMX
>running Win 98 SE.  If I'm serious about a contest, I go into Task Manager
>and turn off all the non-essential background tasks, but if I'm just
>fooling around I even leave my network running!  At worst, in the latter
>configuration, I have very occasional hiccups in the CW, but with a
>cleaned-up machine, none at all.

>Works great but NOT with WINDOWS 2000.

>73, Pete N4ZR
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog
>Submissions:              trlog@contesting.com
>Administrative requests:  trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com
>Problems:                 owner-trlog@contesting.com
>Feature Wishlist:         http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_37578424==_.ALT

At 01:50 10/16/2001, Pete Smith wrote:<br><br>
Olinger, K2AV wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I am really tired of substituting mouse wiggles for perfectly
good<br>
&gt;keystrokes.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Is there possibly another approach that could actually make some
money?<br>
&gt;There are a lot of us that have various dos programs we have had
for<br>
&gt;years and can CTL-whatever in our sleep. NOT just TRLog.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;TR is but one of SEVERAL DOZEN hangers-on I keep around.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I would pay TWO hundred dollars for a dos box that REALLY WORKED.
Not<br>
&gt;for a windows version of those two dozen programs, but a SINGLE DOS
BOX<br>
&gt;that has some development to keep it current.&nbsp; A windows program
that<br>
&gt;was a shell to run old dos programs, really, reliably, with some
slicks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Mickey Sloth hasn't put in a minute on dos box code in almost a
decade.<br>
&gt;It is the demise of the dos box (to FORCE us to buy windows programs
to<br>
&gt;replace the old ones) that is the problem here.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;If you can get a windows program to send smooth cw running on a 1.8
GHz<br>
&gt;PC (you SHOULD be able to), why not a windows program &quot;dos
box&quot; pulling<br>
&gt;the same strings.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;I would pay good money for something like &quot;DA BOX&quot; to keep
my oldies<br>
&gt;running. And DA BOX would appeal to other people besides
hams.<br><br>
This all sounds a little surreal to me -- can I be the only person
who<br>
routinely runs TR Log in a DOS box under Wondows in CW contests and
is<br>
quite satisfied with the CW?&nbsp; Nothing exotic here -- a 200 MHz
Pentium MMX<br>
running Win 98 SE.&nbsp; If I'm serious about a contest, I go into Task
Manager<br>
and turn off all the non-essential background tasks, but if I'm
just<br>
fooling around I even leave my network running!&nbsp; At worst, in the
latter<br>
configuration, I have very occasional hiccups in the CW, but with a<br>
cleaned-up machine, none at all.<br>
--<br>
FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog</a><br>
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
trlog@contesting.com<br>
Administrative requests:&nbsp; trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-trlog@contesting.com<br>
Feature
Wishlist:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html</a></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>