[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 01:50:23 -0400
At 09:42 PM 10/15/01 -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:

>I am really tired of substituting mouse wiggles for perfectly good
>keystrokes.
>
>Is there possibly another approach that could actually make some money?
>There are a lot of us that have various dos programs we have had for
>years and can CTL-whatever in our sleep. NOT just TRLog.
>
>TR is but one of SEVERAL DOZEN hangers-on I keep around.
>
>I would pay TWO hundred dollars for a dos box that REALLY WORKED. Not
>for a windows version of those two dozen programs, but a SINGLE DOS BOX
>that has some development to keep it current.  A windows program that
>was a shell to run old dos programs, really, reliably, with some slicks.
>
>Mickey Sloth hasn't put in a minute on dos box code in almost a decade.
>It is the demise of the dos box (to FORCE us to buy windows programs to
>replace the old ones) that is the problem here.
>
>If you can get a windows program to send smooth cw running on a 1.8 GHz
>PC (you SHOULD be able to), why not a windows program "dos box" pulling
>the same strings.
>
>I would pay good money for something like "DA BOX" to keep my oldies
>running. And DA BOX would appeal to other people besides hams.

This all sounds a little surreal to me -- can I be the only person who
routinely runs TR Log in a DOS box under Wondows in CW contests and is
quite satisfied with the CW?  Nothing exotic here -- a 200 MHz Pentium MMX
running Win 98 SE.  If I'm serious about a contest, I go into Task Manager
and turn off all the non-essential background tasks, but if I'm just
fooling around I even leave my network running!  At worst, in the latter
configuration, I have very occasional hiccups in the CW, but with a
cleaned-up machine, none at all.

73, Pete N4ZR