[TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)

Subject: [TRLog] TRLog in the RTTY Sprint (long)
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 12:09:13 -0500
--=====================_156986554==_.ALT

Tree;
I have to agree with everything that you say. I do no have any bone to pick
with you. It is just that it is not practical for me the way I use my
systems to boot to dos just ot run one program. I may be forced to from
time to time , but I do not like it.
I also can see your point about what happens with dos things at your work.

DOS will eventually have to go when all machines are 64 bit as I don't
think anyone is going to write dos to support that.

If it had not been for TRLOG I would not have had a Contest logger these
years and niter would anyone else have had what TRLOG has so nicely provided.
Everyone should appreciate the effort that you have put on this. I have my
doubts it has made you rich, unless you invested all the returns in the
right thing from day one. :-) AND GOT OUT BEFORE APRIL. ;-)

At 09:32 10/15/2001, Tree N6TR wrote:

> [...]
> HAVE in
> > time. It is unavoidable, TRLOG and most other programs that are DOS only
> > will die.
> >
> > OTOH as I said before, it may not be economically justified to do the
> > development. IT would take one like Tree who is not in it only for the
> > money. I do believe that TRLOG is a labor of love for Tree as much as
> > anything else.
>
>There are very few people who are smart enough to write software for
>windows - yet dumb enough to waste that effort on something like
>contest logging.
>
>Maybe when I retire - in about 15 years, I will have time to think
>about this - but it is more likely that someone else will have to
>do it.  I don't pretend to be a windows programmer - and doubt I
>will have the motivation to become one.
>
>As far as machines that run DOS - from my vantage point at Intel,
>I see DOS being always supported by the BIOS.  Nothing that is
>coming along would remove the backward compatability of the BIOS.
>In fact, all of the BIOS engineers here at Intel rely heavily on
>DOS for their day-to-day work.  Probably the lack of legacy serial
>ports is a bigger worry than DOS.
>
>I agree having the program bundled as a windows program would be
>great.  That isn't the issue here.
>
>As far as RTTY - TR is not trying to pretend to be a great RTTY
>program.  In fact, I came really close to not letting anyone know
>it did RTTY tests.  Instead, the intent was to open up this mode
>for people who needed something to do RTTY - and wouldn't otherwise
>go out and get one of the "real" RTTY packages (this describes my
>personal situation exactly).  Most of the RTTY coding was done
>during the first half of real RTTY contests - and tested during
>the second half.
>
>I think it is great that some people have given it a try and
>published their results here on the list.  I will try to add
>the features they identify as being major obstacles.
>
>Over the past 9 months, I have been involved in a job transition
>here at Intel.  This has essentially required me to work two jobs
>at once and it aas left even less time for ham radio and even my
>family.  Also, we moved to a new building, which is about 20 minutes
>furture from my house, so I have lost the "morning opening" on
>e-mail before I leave home.
>
>I am glad to say that a major product milestone was achieved on
>Friday and things will start slacking off a little.
>
>I still have about 300 e-mails with bugs and enhancements to plow
>through.  Some of them are over a year old.  I hope to make some
>progress on that list during the next couple of months.
>
>Finally, I am working on a technical solution to the CQP problem with
>DX stations.  Hopefully, I can find a way to allow the DX prefixes from
>the CTY.DAT file to be printed in the QTH received field.  AD6E has
>assured me that nobody is losing any QSOs because of this.

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_156986554==_.ALT

Tree;<br>
I have to agree with everything that you say. I do no have any bone to
pick with you. It is just that it is not practical for me the way I use
my systems to boot to dos just ot run one program. I may be forced to
from time to time , but I do not like it.<br>
I also can see your point about what happens with dos things at your
work.<br><br>
DOS will eventually have to go when all machines are 64 bit as I don't
think anyone is going to write dos to support that.<br><br>
If it had not been for TRLOG I would not have had a Contest logger these
years and niter would anyone else have had what TRLOG has so nicely
provided.<br>
Everyone should appreciate the effort that you have put on this. I have
my doubts it has made you rich, unless you invested all the returns in
the right thing from day one. :-) AND GOT OUT BEFORE APRIL. ;-)<br><br>
At 09:32 10/15/2001, Tree N6TR wrote:<br><br>
somewhat cut down version for windows and <br>
&gt; still have the program live than have NOTHING which is what we WILL
HAVE in <br>
&gt; time. It is unavoidable, TRLOG and most other programs that are DOS
only <br>
&gt; will die.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; OTOH as I said before, it may not be economically justified to do
the <br>
&gt; development. IT would take one like Tree who is not in it only for
the <br>
&gt; money. I do believe that TRLOG is a labor of love for Tree as much
as <br>
&gt; anything else.<br><br>
There are very few people who are smart enough to write software for
windows - yet dumb enough to waste that effort on something like<br>
contest logging.<br><br>
Maybe when I retire - in about 15 years, I will have time to think<br>
about this - but it is more likely that someone else will have to <br>
do it.&nbsp; I don't pretend to be a windows programmer - and doubt
I<br>
will have the motivation to become one.<br><br>
As far as machines that run DOS - from my vantage point at Intel,<br>
I see DOS being always supported by the BIOS.&nbsp; Nothing that is
coming along would remove the backward compatability of the BIOS.<br>
In fact, all of the BIOS engineers here at Intel rely heavily on<br>
DOS for their day-to-day work.&nbsp; Probably the lack of legacy
serial<br>
ports is a bigger worry than DOS.<br><br>
I agree having the program bundled as a windows program would be <br>
great.&nbsp; That isn't the issue here.<br><br>
As far as RTTY - TR is not trying to pretend to be a great RTTY <br>
program.&nbsp; In fact, I came really close to not letting anyone
know<br>
it did RTTY tests.&nbsp; Instead, the intent was to open up this
mode<br>
for people who needed something to do RTTY - and wouldn't otherwise<br>
go out and get one of the &quot;real&quot; RTTY packages (this describes
my<br>
personal situation exactly).&nbsp; Most of the RTTY coding was done
during the first half of real RTTY contests - and tested during<br>
the second half.<br><br>
I think it is great that some people have given it a try and <br>
published their results here on the list.&nbsp; I will try to add<br>
the features they identify as being major obstacles.&nbsp; <br><br>
Over the past 9 months, I have been involved in a job transition<br>
here at Intel.&nbsp; This has essentially required me to work two
jobs<br>
at once and it aas left even less time for ham radio and even my<br>
family.&nbsp; Also, we moved to a new building, which is about 20
minutes<br>
furture from my house, so I have lost the &quot;morning opening&quot; on
e-mail before I leave home.<br><br>
I am glad to say that a major product milestone was achieved on <br>
Friday and things will start slacking off a little.<br><br>
I still have about 300 e-mails with bugs and enhancements to plow<br>
through.&nbsp; Some of them are over a year old.&nbsp; I hope to make
some <br>
progress on that list during the next couple of months.<br><br>
Finally, I am working on a technical solution to the CQP problem
with<br>
DX stations.&nbsp; Hopefully, I can find a way to allow the DX prefixes
from<br>
the CTY.DAT file to be printed in the QTH received field.&nbsp; AD6E
has<br>
assured me that nobody is losing any QSOs because of this.&nbsp;
See you in the SS CW from Louisiana.<br><br>
73 Tree<br><br>
--<br>
FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/trlog</a><br>
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
trlog@contesting.com<br>
Administrative requests:&nbsp; trlog-REQUEST@contesting.com<br>
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-trlog@contesting.com<br>
Feature
Wishlist:<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&nbsp;
eudora="autourl">http://web.jzap.com/n6tr/trwish.html</a></blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
eudora="autourl">http://members.home.com/gbaron</a><br>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>