[Trlog] SBDVP - Arrrrrrrrg

Subject: [Trlog] SBDVP - Arrrrrrrrg
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed Mar 12 19:51:07 2003
At 05:19 PM 3/12/03 -0600, Doug Freestone wrote:
>I can't find a reference that identifies how TR (SBDVP) relates a filename
>in the SBDVPCFG file to a particular Function Key.
>It seems that it simply handles the list of file names in the order they
>appear in the SBDVPCFG file.
>Thus F1 plays the first file, F2 plays the second and so on.  If the
>strings "F1" or "F10" have meaning when embedded in a filename, I have
>never worried about it or depended on that functionality.  I always just
>used filenames that made sense to ~me~ and ordered them appropriately in
>the CFG file.

I can't see how this would work.  If you do an Alt-P|C with SBDVP running,
you'll see the filenames CQF1.DVP through CQF10.DVP, each associated with
the related function key.  If you press that function key while in CQ mode
you get the message.  If you press them while in S&P mode, you won't.

The real beauty of using SBDVP with TR, though, is that all the special
filenames that are associated with TR functions work.  For example, if you
program mycall.dvp from the Alt-P|Other screen, when you press F1 in S&P
mode, SBDVP plays your callsign.  When he answers and you enter his
exchange and press [Enter], SBDVP plays SAPEXCHG.DVP, and so on.  You can
find each of these filenames on the Alt-P|Other page, and use the
Alt-W/Alt-R function there to program them.

By the way, I checked, and lo and behold, the ISA SBDVP also says it
invokes two DMAs, yet it works fine.  I had thought it used only one,
because that's all the SBDVP finds. Now I'm really puzzled why the PCI
variant doesn't work similarly.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm