[Trlog] SBDVP - Arrrrrrrrg

Subject: [Trlog] SBDVP - Arrrrrrrrg
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Mar 13 08:14:41 2003
At 11:34 PM 3/12/03 -0500, Ronald Rossi wrote:

>I have been doing a little bit of research and found reference to the
>sample rate being set differently between SB16 and other cards. The rate
>in SBDVP is set using a timeconstant related to the sample rate in Hz.
>The SB16 is set using the sample rate. Is is possible this may be partly
>to blame? It also appears that the rate is set independently for play
>and record. I could not see where this was covered in the SBDVP source.
>
>Pete or Don, Maybe you could check to see what the sample rate of the
>recorded file is when you play it with GoldWave or whatever.

I have checked a number of files recorded through TR and SBDVP with
Goldwave, and find they sound natural at 12K or thereabouts.  When I start
either an ISA or a PCI SB16, I get the following report in the DOS window:

C:\LOG\CONTESTS\03\Test>sbdvp
program sbdvp Version 1.0.3
  IRQ = 5
  BASEIO = 220
  DMA = 1
  SBTYPE = 6
CQF10.DVP opened 46000 bytes
nearest rate is 12048 Hz
Attempting reset of sound card
Successful

Does the "nearest rate" information mean that SBDVP has found that the
sound card has a number of preset rates, and has chosen the one closest to
its optimum?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm