Re: [Trlog] More wish list -- manual

To: trlog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Trlog] More wish list -- manual
From: "D. R. Evans" <N7DR@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:21:11 -0700

On 4 Nov 2003 at 4:19, Pete Smith wrote:

> In case Doc follows this reflector...

It's usually best to copy me personally. I do try to keep an eye on the
reflector, but sometimes I get too far behind and skip over a bunch of
messages, and could easily miss a request like this one.

> We're at the point where it seems to me that the manual needs a table

So here's the deal with the manual... :-)

Immediately after the last A4 version went out, I started a complete rework
of the manual. As well as a complete reformatting (with completely
different software) and an expanded index and more hyperlinking, every
paragraph is being looked at to see if it's still correct (as far as I
know) and applicable. Also the chapter structure is going to be changed a
bit.

Once I've gone through that process, I will add as much new material as I
can from the various requests I have received.

This is going to take some time, so don't expect to see a new manual for a
while. I am putting in a lot of time on this, and I really want to improve
the manual, but it is slow work and there may not be a new release for
several months.

Something that people could really help me with: the whole thing to do with
system requirements. As we all know, TR-LOG is really an MS-DOS program,
but I suspect that these days almost nobody is actually running it under MS-
DOS.

I would like to compile a complete list of OSes and circumstances under
which TR-LOG is known to function flawlessly, and also a list of OSes under
which it sort-of works (i.e., probably the CW is choppy).

I have always run it under MS-DOS here, but just switched to a Win95
computer, and I was interested to discover that I am unable to run TR-LOG
if I boot the machine into "MS-DOS mode" (not enough memory) but that it
seems to run fine (CW included) in a DOS box.

As a corollary, I would like to know if anyone has ever succeeded in
getting it to run properly (including CW, radio control, etc.) in any kind
of a virtual machine running on a non-Microsoft OS.

will make sure to archive any responses that are useful/informative and
will ensure that the information gets into the next version of the manual.

  Doc  N7DR