Re: [Trlog] bootable USB "thumb drive" for XP

To: Dick Frey <k4xu@arrl.net>,"TR-log reflector" <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] bootable USB "thumb drive" for XP
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 02:10:41 -0500
The 128 MB thumb drive I just got at Staples for $15 came already formatted in FAT -- I don't know if FAT 16 or FAT32, but assume the former. I booted from a rescue floppy and ran TR from it without incident, except that operations requiring disk reads and writes took perceptibly longer than on my Win98 machine using the TR on its hard drive. I think it would need Smartdrive to be comfortable, because, for instance, appearance of characters of a callsign on-screen noticeably lagged as the machine checked the master.dta file. This suggests to me that something about the USB interface may be putting limits on the thumb drive's access speed. It's a 2004 Dell Dimension 2400.

73, Pete N4ZR