Re: [Trlog] bootable USB "thumb drive" for XP

To: <PaulKB8N@aol.com>, <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] bootable USB "thumb drive" for XP
From: "Dick Frey" <k4xu@bendcable.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:02:30 -0800
Hi Paul,
That's what I've been trying to sell - having a USB that IS the
drive that boots to DOS. No HDD partitioning needed, all the files
you need are on the USB. I even back up to the USB drive.
TR thinks it is the C: so everything gets put there.I have also
noticed that because the drive is so fast, I don't need EMM386,
SMARTDRV, or anything to make TR function smoothly.
The HDD in the XP machine never even wakes up. No moving
parts, so to speak.
I have the thumb drive set up like a normal C: with TR located
in \Log directory and all the contests beneath it. It works great for
CW. Now I gotta see how to wake up the sound board so I can
do SBDVP.....
So far I've been lucky, but I am in over my head computer-wise.
I gave a pretty good description of what is needed in my first post.
There are some formatting things that go on when a disk
or drive is made bootable, beyond adding the "sys files" to the
root. I'm on shaky ground here. If this is really the "Magic Bullet"
for dealing with the XP killing off DOS menace, someone with
more computer horsepower needs to check my homework.

Dick - K4XU