Re: [Trlog] TR-Log USB question

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] TR-Log USB question
From: "Robert Brandon" <rb@austin.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:04:11 -0500
I don't think you'll be able to make this work.  TR's way of viewing
hardware is frozen in time, and there's no direct support for USB.  It would
take some real Windows magic and the right kind of converter gadget to get
the port to be visible to TR.  But even if you could get TR to see the USB
serial/parallel port, you'll find that the CW generated is irregular --
starts, stops, speed changes, etc.  TR sends direct commands to the hardware
in a way supported by DOS and Windows 95/98/ME.  But Windows NT, 2008, XP,
and Vista assert much more control over hardware and so the commands gets
preempted and the results are pretty poor.

I'm a big TR-LOG fan and use it regularly for SO2R CW.  I keep a few Windows
98 desktop computers around for that.  But for laptop operations like Field
Day, I use N1MM.  www.n1mm.com  It's free, chock full of features, and has
separate run vs. S&P modes.  By flipping the "Enter Sends Message" key, it
works very much like TR -- Enter sends the next message in the QSO sequence.

You may be able to get N1MM to send satisfactory CW through a serial port --
it's worth a try.  I have a little experience running N1MM on XP with
parallel port keying, and it was actually pretty darn good.  I've since
bought a WinKey USB (www.k1el.com), however, so sending is now perfectly
timed and I have a paddle input with the speed set by the software.

Robert K5PI