Re: [Trlog] TR-Log USB question

To: <trlog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Trlog] TR-Log USB question
From: rt_clay@bellsouth.net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:59:38 +0000

Unfortunately TR4W has no support for SO2R...the main reason I still use TR.
Any idea if the
developers are planning on adding two radio support?

With DOSEMU I was never able to get good CW output except at qrs speeds. But I
haven't tried since getting a faster computer, maybe worth trying again.

I have had some luck recently running TR inside a virtual machine (Microsoft
Virtual PC 2007,
host OS Windows XP 32 bit). The hardware virtualization on newer processors may
be helping. There I am using FreeDOS as the virtual OS, 1 real com port, 1
USB/serial converter com port, and a parallel port. CW sounds quite good. One
limitation though is that the Microsoft Virtual PC only has 2 serial ports on
its virtual machine (ie 2 radios + packet would be impossible).

KVM under Linux may also  give similar results (supports hardware
virtualization).

Finally, one comment to the original post: if it is an older laptop, check to
see if you can just
run it directly from a 12V battery, instead of using any converters. For FD
last year I used an old
Gateway Solo 5100 laptop, and found it would run just fine with 12V applied to
wires soldered to
the laptop's battery terminals (old battery was junk). I put a diode to drop
the voltage some, but that was probably not needed. This is much more efficient
that using the laptop's AC converter and a
battery/AC converter in series.

Tor
N4OGW