[WriteLog] Re: WL10.26B and FT-847

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: WL10.26B and FT-847
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:55:32 +0000
Katsuyuki,

Here is what I did yesterday to make sure that things still worked with
Writelog and FT847 BTW I used Windows 98 Second Edition.

1. Use the cable that works with CT - the crossed cable! Connect between
your portable and FT847.
2. Check the baud rate that the FT847 is set to (menu #37, I picked 9600
baud as the highest common rate between Writelog and FT847)

I will assume that you are using Comm Port 1 as your serial port. Your
first letter says you used Comm 2 but most portables configure the serial
port as Comm 1 unless you change the BIOS.  So lets see, under Windows NT
to check this - the only place I see to verify this is using msinfo32.exe
and looking at Components, Ports. Do you also have a modem installed? That
may be what is on Com 2. You will see that also. (some of you NT experts
out there - is there an easier way to see what ports you have? Like Windows
98 Device display?)

3. Then in Writelog, open the log you want.
4. Using Setup, Ports, check the square Rig box for the comm port you have,
select Yaesu FT847 under Rig Type, set the Baud rate to 9600. Poll should
be checked, and I had Comm Ptt YES
5. Using Setup, Save Configuration. I saved the log and closed Writelog.
6. Then I shutdown Windows and I turned off the power to the portable. Also
turned off the FT847 because the CAT light nevers gets turned off. This was
just to make sure everything initialized properly.
7. Now turn on the power to FT847 and the portable.
8. Open Writelog and your log. The FT847 CAT light should come on, Writelog
should read the frequency. and you can set the frequency and modes. With
10.26B the freq/mode box to left to entry window will show No Rig! if
Writelog can not communicate with FT847.

There seems to be a slight lag before Wrtielog learns of changes you make
to the radio. I think this is a software delay in the FT847. I command the
FT847 from my W6IHG Radio Tuner that I use for doppler tracking on
satellites. When I tried to put knob tuning into the program, the time
delay between moving the knob and the Radio Tuner program learning of the
movement was unacceptably slow - I discarded the idea.

If all else fails, load Writelog onto the computer that works for CT and
try again until you find the fault. Good luck

Jerry, W6IHG

At 11:08 PM 4/16/01 +0900, you wrote:

>Hi, Jerry.  Thank you for your reply.
>
>Jerry Pixton wrote:
> >You definitely need the "null modem" cable. I use Writelog and my FT847 as
> >a satellite station so I can give you some comparisons if the crossed cable
> >does not solve the problem.
>
>Could you please give me any comparisons ?
>
>Today I set up CT on another PC and checked my cross cable again.  Then my
>cable worked well and CT followed the changes of frequency and bands of
>FT-847.
>
>After that, I tried again to connect FT-847 on my Write Log 10.26B, but
>failed.
>The radio display showed, for example, 1212MHz LSB, 1412MHz LSB etc.  I tried
>to do so with using my straight cable again, but failed again (T_T).
>
>I think my cross cable itself is not bad.  Writelog is also good because it
>worked well during my attending JIDX CW High band.  So I need other data
>about
>cables.
>
>----
>Katsuyuki Ishii  kkii@hcc1.bai.ne.jp