[WriteLog] Re: WL10.26B and FT-847

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: WL10.26B and FT-847
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:41:31 +0000
Katsuyuki,

Wow, everything seems to be working ok as individual components. I felt
challenged today to install Writelog under Windows NT version 4.0 with
Service Pack 6 just to see if there was some problem there.

Believe it or not, Writelog commands the CAT interface fine. It does work.

Now do not worry about being able to send CW or activate the PTT lines yet.
That is another issue and requires some more hardware and wire.

But what you want to get working is the CAT interface. I am running mine at
9600 baud but 4800 works also.

First the messages that you are getting in the Events log are about a SCSI
interface that is not starting. With a portable, this would be a PCMCIA
card for a JAZ or ZIP drive for example. Should not have anything to do
with the Serial interface and if you could run your TNC from the Serial
Comm1 that verifies it is not a problem.

So what you are looking for when Writelog starts -

1. The CAT indicator on the FT847 should light up. If this is not ok,
WriteLog will say "No Rig!"
2. Writelog indicates the dial frequency of the main VFO A
3. By left clicking the mouse on the frequency button to the left to the
entry window, you can command frequency and mode changes to the FT847
4. By manually changing the mode or the frequency on the FT847, WriteLog
will properly indicate the change (it is slightly slow, thats why I run at
9600 baud, but as I said in an earlier message, I think this is a delay in
the FT847)

If this is all working then Writelog should command the FT847 to transmit
when a Wave file is played by one of the function keys under SSB or a RTTY
message is to be sent from a function keys. But I have not tried this yet
under NT with the FT847.

But you have some more interfacing to do before CW will be sent using the
DTR line or PTT will be asserted on the RTS line. And the help files are
very useful to get started with RTTY connections.

Jerry

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
http://www.pixos.com/designs/
jpixton@shentel.net