[WriteLog] Re: Update of CTY files]

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Update of CTY files]
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 07:51:22 -0500
--=====================_46272476==_.ALT

At 08:23 10/26/2001, Jim Reisert wrote:
>It sure seems like people are putting a lot of effort into finding
>work-arounds when this is clearly a bug in WriteLog itself.  CT handles
>these country file entries just fine.

Well, it is not exactly a bug. It is more a working as designed and the
design does not handle it.

There is an ambiguity in the assignment. No matter if it handles this one
there is always going to be ambiguities, unless you put every possible
call. Why, well because the Prefix does not  ALWAYS resolve to a country or
entity. Even Logic has problems with this. Yes, it does better, it can
resolve any FO0A  as the start to the correct entity, but what if they
assign FO0B to that entity. Now you are stuck. You do not know ahead of time.
The real problem is the international assignment system is so screwed up
that  it cannot be completely done by a program. ONLY the Entity Name is
unambiguous and that is why checkers are needed for DXCC awards.

Perhaps WriteLog will one day improve, such as using the first 5 characters
to search the prefix list and if no match the first 4 etc, as does logic,
but this is not really needed that badly. As pointed out, you are NEVER
going to solve it all because the call system itself is ambiguous. We have
to live with it.

>The QTH isn't even recorded in the Cabrillo log file.  It will be
>re-scored when it reaches the CQWW committee.
>
>73 - Jim AD1C
>--
>Jim Reisert AD1C, 7 Charlemont Court, North Chelmsford, MA 01863
>USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_46272476==_.ALT

At 08:23 10/26/2001, Jim Reisert wrote:<br>
putting a lot of effort into finding work-arounds when this is clearly a
bug in WriteLog itself.&nbsp; CT handles these country file entries just
Well, it is not exactly a bug. It is more a working as designed and the
design does not handle it.<br><br>
There is an ambiguity in the assignment. No matter if it handles this one
there is always going to be ambiguities, unless you put every possible
call. Why, well because the Prefix does not&nbsp; ALWAYS resolve to a
country or entity. Even Logic has problems with this. Yes, it does
better, it can resolve any FO0A&nbsp; as the start to the correct entity,
but what if they assign FO0B to that entity. Now you are stuck. You do
not know ahead of time.<br>
The real problem is the international assignment system is so screwed up
that&nbsp; it cannot be completely done by a program. ONLY the Entity
Name is unambiguous and that is why checkers are needed for DXCC
awards.<br><br>
Perhaps WriteLog will one day improve, such as using the first 5
characters to search the prefix list and if no match the first 4 etc, as
does logic, but this is not really needed that badly. As pointed out, you
are NEVER going to solve it all because the call system itself is
ambiguous. We have to live with it.<br><br>
Cabrillo log file.&nbsp; It will be re-scored when it reaches the CQWW
committee.<br><br>
73 - Jim AD1C<br>
--<br>
Jim Reisert AD1C, 7 Charlemont Court, North Chelmsford, MA 01863<br>
USA +978-251-9933, &lt;jjreisert@alum.mit.edu&gt;,