AW: [WriteLog] Erratic CW

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: AW: [WriteLog] Erratic CW
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 17:13:30 -0700
On Tue, 28 May 2002 23:37:55 -0000, Barry  wrote:

>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the reason folks want to use the
>> LPT port for CW is that there is a conflict if you want to use RTTY FSK
>> and CW on the same com port.  I don't think it can be done, at least not
>> with MMTTY.  This may not be true for all combinations of
>> mode/tnc/port/FSK/AFSK, but it was in my case.
>>
><snip>
>OK, you're wrong :.)
>My COM ports are set up as follows:
>COM1 - modem
>COM2 - Radio
>COM3 - Packet
>COM4 - PTT/CW/FSK
>COM5 - Acom amp
>
>Obviously, I don't use CW and FSK at the same time, so when running
>WL/MMTTY, I choose None for CW in the Setup Ports window. When
>running CW, I choose COM4 and MMTTY isn't open.
>Barry --

I remember what the problem was that made me use three com ports.  It
was that I wanted to be able to use MMTTY as a stand alone program.  It
is MMTTY that conflicts the com port lines with WriteLog.  MMTTY uses
both RTS and DTR for PTT, where WriteLog uses DTR for CW keying and RTS
for PTT.  So if you connect the DTR pin to the CW jack on the rig, MMTTY
keys the CW jack every time you transmit RTTY.  On some rigs that may
not be a problem, but on mine it causes the CW sidetone to be present
during RTTY transmission.

If there is a way around this, please let me know.  I spent hours on it
and never could find a fix, other than the additional com port.

73, Bill W7TI