[WriteLog] WL with KAM XL

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL with KAM XL
From: garry@ni6t.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:47:43 -0000
Ford:

The relative performance of hardware vs. software modems has little to do
wtih the sound card, unless it is being overdriven and is distorting or it
has a very poor A to D converter (ADC). The relative performance has
everything to do with how the signals are processed.

Older "multimode" controllers utilized the classic bandpass
filter/limiter/discriminator/lowpass filter approach. This can and should
work well, but, to minimize parts count, the units were really
two-mode---VHF packet, and everything else. The "everything else" mode
included RTTY, AMTOR, HF Packet, WEFAX, etc; the filter and discriminator
bandwidths were set for the widest modes, and were suboptimal for RTTY. I
know this was the case for the PK232, and I presume it to be true for other
controllers of that era.Performance can be stunningly improved.

"Soundcard" modems utilize the card's ADC to digitize incoming audio; the
soundcard does no filtering. What happens after digitizing depends upon the
software chosen. For example, K6STI's RITTY used a matched-filter receive
algorithm that was inherently superior to what could be done with
limiter/discriminator receivers, even if properly implemented, which, as I
said, they were not. I have not yet gotten into the bowels of MMTTY, so I do
not know what algorithm it uses. But I intend to run MMTTY in tandem with my
modified PK232 to see how good it is. I already know that my modified 232,
which is superior to a stock 232, is inferior to RITTY,especially in
weak-signal and polar flutter environments. Unfortunately, it was a bear to
use RITTY in a Windows environment, although I understand some guys are
doing it successfully, and I'd like to know how to use it with WL.

You say your KAM "actually keys true FSK," but that is not correct. The KAM,
and all other "FSK" sources, provide logic-level outputs that do not
directly manipulate the frequency generator in your radio, but which select
dividers in the radio that provide tones to modulate your SSB transmitter
downstream from your microphone preamps. IOW, you are merely generating AFSK
with logic levels, and most certainly do not eliminate your audio stages.
What it does free you from is the necessity to worry about microphone gain
and the status of your compressor.

73,

Garry, NI6T