[WriteLog] WL with KAM XL- Issue Resolved

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL with KAM XL- Issue Resolved
From: wa4tk@comcast.net (Dean Gramling)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:00:31 +0000
Kam XL com to Writelog Rttyrite window issue resolved.

Thanks to AA5AU and his link:

http://www.geocities.com/writelog/kam_n6mw.html

Fix recap taken from above link and edited slightly, for
Complete details go to the link.

1.  PC CommPort (under control panel/system/port, or just control panel/port
for some systems) set to default which is 9600,1,N,8 and None flow control.
(But baud rate and flow control do not appear to matter).  FIFO (advanced)
is ON with moderately high values.

2.  Writelog.ini under PORT has COM1 set to 9600,N,8,1,  (NOTE:  not
9600,N,8,1,x)

3.  KAM is preset to ABAUD 9600 (XFLOW in ON and MONITOR is ON, at least
before initialization)

It was found that if FIFO is OFF, Transmitted characters are sometimes
skipped as displayed in the KAM window (RTTYRITE window in WriteLog) and
apparently also skipped on the air (seee XXX).

WA4TK notes added,

4. Make sure that KAM XL is in host mode prior to Startup of Writelog.
    The KAM XL manual is downloadable (pdf) from  www.Kantronics.com
    In manual see:  The Serial Port of the Computer, The Serial Cable,
    Kantronics host mode, Exiting Host mode.

    Pacterm98 will leave KAM XL in host mode upon exit if that option is
    Selected in menu. Pacterm98  link is available at
    Kantronics.com or http://www.cssincorp.com/pacterm/

Writelog really should be able to set the KAM XL from any mode to Host while
initialization is going on but for now this will get it going.

73, WA4TK, Dean