[WriteLog] Redundancy in contests

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Redundancy in contests
From: gw3njw@onetel.net.uk (Clive Whelan)
Date: Wed Jan 22 13:36:42 2003
W0UN--John Brosnahan wrote:
> Guess I could add a KVM switch and if the
> main computer fails just dump the keyboard, video, mouse
> over to the backup system!

I have just such a set up running XP on both machines, NTFS on
the main "office" ( for want of a better word) machine, and
FAT32 on the dedicated radio machine. Boy was I glad I kept
FAT32 on the radio machine, when it went South ( taking the
network with it), and I was able to read the files and dump them
under DOS, to a spare HDD after booting from a floppy.

But here's the rub. If the radio machine dies in the middle of
the contest, I can flip the KVM switch and carry on logging on
the other machine transparently, but of course I have lost RS232
control and automatic keying etc. Sure, I could finish the
contest on the paddle and just log on the computer, but after 40
odd hours I'd really rather not so do! I could also crawl under
the bench and switch some DB9/25 connectors, and conceivably
even re-instate SO2R, but after 40 hours, well you get the
picture!

So the question is, what scheme might one devise  to hook COM
ports from each machine in "parallel" ( like automatic printer
sharing), and be able to switch from one set to another without
pain/strain? Somebody must have thought this through?

On this side, such an approach is called belt and braces. Well
you know how it is, just when you think you've cracked it, along
comes a swarm of killer bees!

73

Clive
GW3NJW