Re: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] Don't send IN during the exchange!

To: <wrt@dslextreme.com>, "writelog" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] Don't send IN during the exchange!
From: "Dave W7DPW" <w7dpw@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 08:50:58 -0800
Bill Turner wrote:

>"Bill Turner" <wrt@dslextreme.com>
>
> The reason people use the hyphen in the first place is it does speed
up
> sending slightly because sending a space also requires another FIGS
> shift character.  IMO, the tradeoff isn't worth it.

As I remember the Hyphen was originally used when pounding on GREEN
Keys and is was very difficult to compensate for the USOS when
inserting a space character between numeric characters.  A hyphen is
in FIGS case and one only had to press the HYPHEN key instead of
SPACE,FIGS keys, exspecially nice for us two finger typists.   I
remember sending FIGS twice to make sure it that the receiving machine
was in the proper case.  Soime machines didn't have USOS and it was
necessary to make sure that LTRS was send after any FIGS were
complete, and twice at that..  EndOfLine sequence was a multiple key
effort especially to compesate for slow mechanical platens. As I
remember it was CR, CR, LF, LTRS and the LTRS was sometimes sent
twice.

Just nostalgia ..

Dave W7DPW