RE: [WriteLog] AFSK on RTTY not LSB on 1000mp field

To: "'Goran ANDRIC, S55OO'" <s55oo@lea.hamradio.si>,<wx4tm@tm-moore.com>, "'Jim Smith'" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>,<writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WriteLog] AFSK on RTTY not LSB on 1000mp field
From: Þorvaldur Stefánsson <tf3mm@simnet.is>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:25:28 -0000
I decided to try my own advice and switch to AFSK and it does´nt work as I
thought it should.

I could have sworn I had afsk working under 'user mode' but it doesn´t.

My apologies to all for my wrong advice.

I now use PKT (lsb) menu 6-4 (Packet Frequency Display Offset) is 2125 and I
changed menu 6-5 to 2210 Hz (center of 2125/2295).

That gives me access to the filters using the Packet rear panel jack as
S55OO and others have found.

The reason I have gone to AFSK rather than FSK is that I am now using a
Frederick 1280A which has a "True FSK"

("as defined by FEC's patent, which allows the change from mark to space to
be made as a smooth progression of intermedita frequencies directly related
to the selected keying rate.  This reduces side band enerby normally
produced by the nearly instantaneous change from mark to space associated
with the more commonly used FEK technique")

- I fed the AFSK output into my spectrum analyzer program and switched to
"True FSK" and the difference is dramatic - much cleaner.  I wonder if some
rigs have "key clicks" on RTTY (FSK mode) as well as on CW?

73

Thor, TF3MM

The treachery of a friend is worse than that of a foe.
-Gísla Saga Súrssonar