Re: [WriteLog] AFSK on RTTY not LSB on 1000mp field

To: Þorvaldur Stefánsson <tf3mm@simnet.is>,"'Goran ANDRIC, S55OO'" <s55oo@lea.hamradio.si>,"'Jim Smith'" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] AFSK on RTTY not LSB on 1000mp field
From: <wx4tm@tm-moore.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:16:27 -0600
For RTTY (RTTY MODE, PKT MODE, PKT/LSB or ???), nothing I can do with my
new MK V FIELD (so far) results in having available the same NAR NAR1
NAR2 filter selections as when using the CW Mode (2.0 500 250). Yes, all
optional filters are installed and working.  While in the RTTY mode, I
can change the NAR2 to/fm 500/250 via Menu 5-4 but thats much much too
slow for contest work.  I can effectively use the "MPFilters" utility
(which is pretty slick) but that precludes use of RIG Control via
WRITELOG, LOGGER32 or any other software using the serial port to do
'rig control' (you can't do both at the same time).

Whether or not this problem is exactly the same on the regular MARK V, I
don't know. What I've described is applicable to the MARK V FIELD that
bought from HRO three weeks ago.

So far I am very disappointed in the way YAESU set up the MV FIELD
filter selections for RTTY. They CLEARLY do not understand - are not
knowledgeable of - RTTY contesting needs. All the digital modes need to
have the same access to filter selection that the CW mode does. How they
ever came to any differenct conclusion is almost mind boggling.  Had I
fully realized and understood the limitations of this radio with regard
to filter selection alone, I would have bought the ICOM PRO II. But I've
always been a big Yaesu fan and thought, for sure, there'd be a way
around this problem. So far, I sure can't find it. What a bummer!

Tom WX4TM