Re: [WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest ini?

To: Phil Florig <W9IXX@arrl.net>,WriteLog Reflector <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Anoyance during ARRL DX contest ini?
From: Fidel Leon <ea3gip@ea3gip.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:15:57 +0100
At 01:27 10/03/2004, Phil Florig wrote:

I am no software guru and wonder why you can't put the ini file in the same directory
as the program files. I have a few programs that that is what they do and makes things

Putting the INI files in the %WINDIR% directory is a legacy of the Windows 3 era. The operating system even offered (and offers) API function calls to manage the INI files, but they had some limitations (INI files not greater than 12 KBytes, i.e.).

About putting the INI files in the application directory, is just a question of taste, but what would you prefer? One hundred .INI files all located in the same directory, or one hundred directories with a single .INI into it?

Anyway, as per Microsoft advice, use of INI files is "discouraged", because of the Registry database that came with Windows 95 offering "centralized" configurations in only one store. Using the Registry allows easy multi-user configurations, but some find tricky and dangerous managing directly with it. For developers, accessing the Registry is "cleaner" (from my point of view) that reading and writing a text file but, as always, is just a question of taste, isn't it?

73,

Fidel Leon - EA3GIP
ea3gip@ea3gip.net